Friday 11 March 2011

Rise and Shine






Rise and Shine 
CARTER
Picture Provided
Interview number one for 2011 was with a young man who goes by Hip Hop name: C.A.R.T.E.R, a Rap artist from Toronto with a unique strategy. Who focuses on being honest with his lyrics holding strong values against rapping about things that he has not experience himself! He, like many other up and coming artists from the greater Toronto area have difficulty finding a suitable producer to work with; maybe it means he has do to more research, or maybe he has a good point to offer. Carter has decided to release online freestyles and remixes as a result; intern receives good feedback and increased views. He and his group S150 are working with an independent label by the name ofReck’em Records who are cooperatively putting together an EP with original beats. Ready to become more active, they plan on doing live performances- an integral aspect of gaining more exposure in the music industry. Carter who is a little “restrained” at the moment to travel booked a phone interview with HOOKEDUPB ONLINE MAG to tell us more about his creative ventures, and share his music related opinions- full interview below:

How long have you been making music for?

Probably about 5 years now, I started doing it when I was 15 years old now I’m in my twenties! Basically I got a distribution deal with Reck’em Records (independent label) about a year ago now. I put out my fifth mixtape, and got some good feedback from that; there’s a new EP coming. 

Tell us a little bit about the S150 FAM?

S150 is my group; me and a couple other artists, people get it confused: the “S” stands for SWAG, and the “150” means we put a hundred and fifty percent into our work!

What topics/ or social cause do you find yourself naturally rapping about in your music?

Pretty straightforward with life experience- my name “Carter” is an acronym:
C- consistent
A- always
R- real
T- throughout
E-everyday
R- recognize
I don’t like to fabricate anything- just keep it real, and I put it all on the record, you know! 

Why do you think that is?

It’s probably ‘cause people influence me; my family has a musical background. Also I saw the ups and downs. People respect it more when you’re being honest with them.

You have been releasing many singles over the past months, what sparked the motivation to put out more music online?

More…just because the market has its ups and downs! To increase my presence online the mixtapes got like 2000 downloads, so I’ll probably just keep doing it like that.

What is something music related that you are looking forward to doing in the coming months?

Probably just more videos better quality videos, music and shows. I have only done just a few shows at lounges – the whole performance aspect of it is my main focus.

You have done a few remixes using other artists instrumentals such as: Runaway Remix- originally by: Kanye West, Unthinkable Freestyle- originally by Alicia Keys; why do you choose use the instrumentals?

Those are just for online, those aren’t for mixtapes, and I use ones that aren’t so popular too! The Kanye West- I used to put my feel on it, so other people are going to check for the remix on Youtube. So it’s just a good idea to get my stuff out there I guess (I get more exposure for using his instrumental).

Do you have a producer or are you looking for a producer?

Most times I lease beats! I don’t.  Honestly I haven’t worked with any Toronto producers, more time I use beats from the States producers. If I find I get good feedback from the track I’ll look into buying the beat so I can own the rights to that track.

A lot of Toronto producers charge too much for their beats! There’s a flex were there selling beats over to the States- there needs to be more unity. The prices are ridiculous, and its like they don’t want to help the ones in their own backyard- the up and coming guys, it’s very messed up! That’s why I go to the guys with free beats or whatever. Toronto guys just want the money at the end of the day!

What Underground artist or group, do you look up to in the Greater Toronto Area?

Honestly I don’t listen to a lot of Toronto Hip Hop. Everyone’s on the same page but I check in with:
-Camoflauge- and his whole movement
-Belly
-Richie Sosa
-Bishop Brigante
Anyone in my camp also- S150 guys & Reck’em Records!

Do you have any shout outs or last comments?

Don't Ask commin soon!!




CONTACT CARTER:
Facebook Group:

Myspace:

*WATCH*, C.A.R.T.E.R – Livin’ My Life ft. Young Judah
(Video- Oct. 23, 2010)

Youtube:

&






 >>>>>>>>>>>U HOOKED?

No comments:

Post a Comment